Saturday, November 26, 2011

Frame earring holder tutorial

This weekend I made a few earring holders out of cheap dollar tree frames and it was a blast and turned out great so I figured I'd do my first tutorial!

This project is also very good for you if you're like me and don't have a lot of money and like to upcycle. I spent about 6 dollars in all. Most of the items I had laying around the house!




What you need:
Wooden frames from a dollar store. (I got mine for a dollar each)
Window screen mesh
Staple gun
Scissors
Tacky glue or any glue suitable for fabrics and wood
Fabric
Twine or any type of sturdy cord
Hanging hooks or jumbo push pins

Optional:
Acrylic paint for the hanging hooks (to make them prettier!)

---

First, take the glass and back of the frame off and set aside (I should be doing a tutorial on what to make out of them later) so that you just have the frame part. 

Take the window mesh and line it up with the frame and staple it on the BACK of the frame and then cut to make even like so.

(This is what it should look like from the back)

(This is what it should look like from the front)

Next, pick out your fabric (the possibilities are endless!) and add tacky glue around the edges of the back of the frame


I picked out pink, white and black to match my current colors of my jewelry organizer.


(This is what it should look like after the tacky glue is applied)

Next, press the fabric on the back side and let dry like so;


While that is drying, you can do what I did and paint the hooks.


This is pretty self explanatory. All you need is the paint color of your choice, a paintbrush, some water and the hooks. (I got command damage-free hooks for 2 bucks at my grocery store)

And this is how they turned out!

Pretty neat, huh?

Once the glue dries (I waited a good 2 hours) you should be able to cut the fabric and start to add the finishing touches!

For the hanging part I glued hemp braiding cord to the fabric and sandwiched it in with another piece of fabric (who's gonna look at the back anyways?)


Now as this was drying, I cut a few pieces of fabric for an extra type of earring holder for my hoop earrings and corner glued it onto the frames.


When the frame is done it should look like this!

------------------------

All in all I made 3 frames. 2 for dangling earrings and 1 for my post earrings. The post earring holder omits needing the braiding cord and hanging hooks. It sits on my nightstand leaned up against the wall.


This is the post earring holder. The zebra print box on the bottom of it is holding all the backs for my dangling earrings and is a very cute add on!



As you can see in the first picture, the white corner piece of fabric holds my hoop earrings. Very easy to glue it on and convenient too! 


Please comment and tell me what you think! Feedback is very much appreciated :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment